Tuesday 19 April 2011

A Lackluster Week of Uninteresting Recipes and Dreary Weather

Well, my big exciting dream of Spring kicked the bucket upon awakening Thursday morning.  The snow started early and made getting around a big pain in the you-know-whater.  It's a sad sad thing when one day you're starting your lawn prep, and the next you're shovelling the sidewalk just so you can leave your house.  And by Tuesday - things had started to smarten up - even though it snowed off and on all week.

I had appointments all this week which kept me pretty busy and having headaches everyday makes having any energy to get my booty in the kitchen pretty hard to drum up. But the recipes for the week were easy - so I talked myself into it.

Apple & Goat Cheese Bruschetta
Yum.  A Fuji apple, goat cheese, oregano, thyme, and a little black pepper broiled on french bread.  I thought it was a good and easy snack. 

And I got the most impressive loaf of french bread that I've EVER HAD!!!  It was fresh and the crust was soft and chewy.  Oh.  My.  Yum.  Usually the bakery I got it from is usually not that impressive.

Cara's Creamy Stuffed Shells
Honestly? Yuck and BOOOORING and not creamy whatsoever.  I had much higher expectations and was totally let down.  Maybe it was the substitute of Italian Seasonings for the Parsley that did me in.  Who knows.  Contents - garlic salt, fresh garlic, pasta sauce, cream cheese - stuffed in shells, baked with more pasta sauce and topped with Romano cheese.  Sounds pretty good?  Nope.  Blech.  Did I do something wrong?  Who knows.

Amazing Chicken
I'm not sure why it's called this - it just is.  I personally didn't think it was that amazing.  Take a chicken breast, cover it in mayo, coat with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and bake.  Not terribly difficult.  Or amazing.  I couldn't actually buy Italian seasoned breadcrumbs - so I googled it and found a pretty easy recipe to make on my own.  So, I rinsed my chicken breast, dried it, covered it with mayo, and rolled it in the breadcrumbs.  To be frank - I wouldn't make it again, however, I was surprised at how tender and juicy the chicken was when I cut into it.  I couldn't even taste the mayo - which is apparently the point.

To go with my "Amazing Chicken" I made mashed potatoes and made yet another attempt to make gravy.  For whatever reason I simply CANNOT make gravy!!!  Grrrr....  Just to practice I used a carton of chicken broth - made my flour/water slurry thing and TRIED.  I think I came pretty close, but yet again I got over-excited with the flour/water and ruined it.  Not as bad as last time - but darn close.  Mom tells me that it takes time and practice to made perfect gravy.  It's just so frustrating that I can make beautiful Red Velvet Cupcakes and perfect icing - but not gravy.  ACK!!!

I have many many recipes to try - so I'm not terribly concerned about a few not so great recipes.  It happens.

That's all for this show - see you next week.
This is the Cane Girl - signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment