Sunday 1 May 2011

Crab Cake Sauce - The Best of the Best

I'm not much for dipping sauces - the truth is, I'm perfectly fine having egg rolls without the plum sauce, chicken fingers without dipping sauce, etc etc.  However, I love to have extra sauce with Butter Chicken for my rice.  I'm wierd that way.

I do think though that if you are having company and serving to a guest, you should have a sauce to bring out the flavour of the dish.  Even if on a normal day I couldn't give two hoots about sauce.

I make AWESOME crab cakes.  They are DEEEELICIOUS!  So with my Dad up for a visit yesterday, I decided that for lunch we would have crab cakes and I would make up a couple of different sauces for him to sample.

I made the sauces the night before serving, just so the flavours would have time to come together.

I started with a garlic aioli.  Pretty straightforward, fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, mayo, salt and pepper.  Mix.  I actually thought it was not too bad, a little on the runny side, (I like crab cake sauce a little thicker) and a little too much garlic.

Next I made a red pepper sauce.  It was a little more involved, but it was pretty good, but the dijon mustard was really strong - a little less dijon might have been better.

And I made a yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, mayo, and salsa concoction that made a HUGE batch!!!  It actually turned out the best I thought and would be great on sandwiches or with chips as a dip.  The only problem is - now what do I DO with all of it!!!

I've considered getting babyfood jars and sealing them - can you do that with a homemade sauce?  I don't even know where to start!  And - with time constraints it's just not feasible  (okay, okay, the truth is that it's been really nice for the last few days and I REALLY don't want to be cooped up in my house jarring crab cake sauce).

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment