Wednesday 28 September 2011

Seafood Enchiladas and Migraines

A few Thursdays ago (which now seems like a lifetime!) when my Mom and Dad told me they were stopping in on their way to see my brother and his family, I actually had to think REALLY hard about what to make.

This recipe for Seafood Enchiladas had been staring at me from my online recipe box for quite a while now - and I was starting to get uncomfortable with it.  I honestly couldn't stand it anymore, so they were the meal for the evening.

Let me start by saying that I think these were probably awesome.  I couldn't hardly tell though.  Migraines apparently affect taste buds.  But I had terrific feedback from my parents.  Considering the pan was pretty well devoured by end of dinner time - I'd say they were being honest and that I would add these to my personal files.

That particular Thursday started out just with a headache upon waking - which I'm pretty used to (at this point I was going on day 8 of daily headaches).  My only defense is "take a couple Advil and hope it goes away".  So I ran my Thursday morning errands and came home to do Thursday afternoon chores.  I mistakenly thought the headache would get better - but when I came in at 4 to shower and change, the headache had officially been upgraded to migraine status.  And by that point - I was pretty much screwed.

A visit to the doctor the following day confirmed that I am indeed, having migraines (I'm not sure if the daily headaches I've been having are migraines, but Thursday was DEFINITELY one).  And migraines aren't only restricted to one day - oh no.  Migraines are, at the very least, two day magical events that make me want to scream - except I don't because it hurts.  Yep, I get migraine HANGOVERS.  Yay me.  It's super-fun. 

I'm sure Mom and Dad would have understood if they showed up and I said "hey - here's a frozen pizza and a bottle of wine, I'm going to lay down".  But I had already bought everything.

And I totally intended to take process pictures and final pictures, but I was too busy trying not to barf in the filling.  I did snap a few though.

Butter and Onions frying - the start of something good!

Chopped shrimp - not too small!

Baked and ready to go!

A closeup of the yum....

Anyway - the enchiladas were easy and really yummy - but for an added punch I would add fresh cilantro.  Oh, and the recipe says to use 6 10-inch tortillas, but I went ahead and used all 10 (but they were only 6-inch) in the package - cause I didn't really need them hanging around.  And if you like really saucy enchiladas, you should double the sauce.

Seafood Enchiladas
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 pound fresh crabmeat
1/4 pound shrimp - peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
8 ounces Colby Cheese, shredded (I used Monterey Jack)
6 (10 inch) flour tortillas (I used 10 6-inch tortillas)
1 cup half-and-half cream (I used heavy cream)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp garlic salt (I used garlic powder)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter until transparent.  Remove the skillet from heat and stir in crabmeat and shrimp.
  3. Mix half the shredded cheese into the crabmeat and shrimp.
  4. Divide seafood and cheese mixture evenly between the tortillas.  Roll the tortillas up around the filling and arrange in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
  5. In a saucepan over medium-low heat combine cream, sour cream, 1/4 cup butter, parsley and garlic salt.  Stir until the mixture is lukewarm and blended.  Pour the sauce over the rolled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
  6. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
I served these enchiladas with Mexican Rice (it was from the box - I know it's "laziness", but don't start with me), sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment