Thursday 3 November 2011

Creamy Shrimp Soup

This isn't actually the name of this recipe - but I thought it was somewhat more appropriate.

It has butter, cream cheese, green onions, cream of potato soup, shrimp, corn, and milk in it. 

Did you feel your arteries just harden?  I did.

So you start out by melting together the cream cheese and the butter, then you add in the green onions and simmer for 15 minutes.


Man it smelled so so good.  And this is the part where I thought it was going to be something special.

Then you add in the cream of potato soup and the corn and simmer for 15 minutes more.

At this point I realized that it might not be something special.
After that you stir in the milk - the recipe says to add more milk until it reaches your desired consistency.

Then add in the shrimp - heat through and serve.

Because I halved the recipe, I thought about using a whole 1/2 cup of milk, but didn't get there because I still like my soups thick.

And I was totally and completely prepared to be blown away by this soup and give up all other soups for this one.

And honestly?  It was kind of bland.  I added salt and pepper to my bowl - but it didn't seem to help.  It definitely needs some help - but I wanted to base my review and opinion on the recipe as written.

I wouldn't make it again.  I didn't even finish my bowl....  Blech.  (My dinner was a cupcake.  For realz)

I guess they can't all be winners.

You can tell by my lack of enthusiasm how much I enjoyed it hey?
This is the Cane Girl - signing off.



My Favorite Soup
This is the actual name of the recipe
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped green onions
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 pound cooked shrimp
1/2 cup milk, or as needed
  1. In a soup pot, slowly melt cream cheese and butter over low heat.  Add green onions and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.  Stir in potato soup and corn.  Simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in milk to desired consistency.  Begin with 1/2 cup milk and add more if needed.  Soup will be thick.  Add shrimp and heat thoroughly.
Source: Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment