Monday 7 November 2011

Cupcakes A to Z: Angel Food Cupcakes

Ever since the beginning of this project, all those ages ago, I've dreaded the Angel Food section. 

I've dreaded it because I've heard over and over that Angel Food is a real challenge and not for the faint of heart.  So, in preparation - I watched all kinds of videos, read articles, read blogs, etc so that I would know what to look for.  And because I have a tendency to get myself all freaked out - I decided just to follow the recipes and maybe I would have been surprised.

And now - I can honestly say that all I've heard is TRUE. 

The "Angel Food Day" was the biggest bust I've ever had in the kitchen (except for that time when I was 17 and gave myself food poisoning after consuming undercooked chicken burgers - you know those frozen ones that you bake and then eat?  Yeah.  Ick.)

I had four recipes to try - and then I ended up making the executive decision to cut out one of the recipes because it was exactly like another one in the list, but less two egg whites. 

So the first batch.  I thought it went pretty well.  And figured it would just work out.

It didn't.  My "cupcakes" came out in the shape of 1/2 inch disks.  Not light and fluffy and wonderful Angel Food as we know it.

The second batch I had higher hopes for.  And probably would have maybe worked out, but I wasn't sure how much batter to put in the cups and wound up again with little discus pucks.  Nope.  Not Angel Food.

The third batch I had the highest hopes for.  And because my brain went all screwy from two fails, I really made sure those liners were FULL.  And they looked like they were done when I pulled them out.  DEFINITELY. NOT.  But the top was all golden and lovely.

And really - I don't think I can blame the recipes on this one.  Especially when 3 out of 3 are a major fail - it's definitely my inexperience.

So sadly - I have no Angel Food cupcake recipe to add to my repetoire today.  Maybe in the future I'll come back to it and see if I can make it work.

The only GOOD thing that came out of today is that I know I can make meringue!  Look out Lemon Meringue Pie!

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.



Sources:
Do Better
Annie's Eats
My Baking Addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment