Wednesday 18 January 2012

Cupcakes A to Z: Autumn Spice Cupcakes

Let me start by saying that these cupcakes wrap up the letter A.  Three months ago when I started this project, I figured I'd be waaaaay further ahead then this.  For reals.  I figured I at LEAST be nearing the end of the B's.  Then "life" happened.  Either I've been not feeling well, spending time with family and friends, or busy with other stuff.  And those things push the cupcake project up on the shelf to be looked at later. 

And you know what?  That's okay.  I'm fine with that.  It means I've been living.  LIVING.  It's way more important than cupcakes.

I made these by accident with the Apple Spice Cupcakes.  I thought I had looked closely enough, but I would absolutely not group these with an Apple Spice.

Have you ever smelled cardamom?  Holy moly that stuff is strong and it made me really nervous about how these cupcakes would taste.

And these are naked - so no pretty pictures.  Because I made them on a test day!  Apparently, I should have looked a little closer.

And when I tried them - I DID. NOT. like them.

Now - don't get me wrong, I'm all for a savoury type of dessert, but the cardamom was not my cup of tea.  And they weren't DISGUSTING - but I took one bite and knew they weren't for me.

And you can tell I didn't like them by the length of this post.

I gotta go brush my teeth.

This is the Cane Girl, freshly minty - signing off.



Autumn Spice Cupcakes

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together.  Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until light, about 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in the oil and buttermilk until smooth.
  5. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture until smooth.
  6. Incorporate the sour cream by hand.
  7. Divide batter between the cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full.
  8. Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
  9. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source:  A Cup of Sugar...A Pinch of Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment