Monday 9 April 2012

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies (Version 2)

Last year, when Easter rolled around - I went crazy trying to get my hands on ANY Creme Egg recipe that I could.

This one was one of them.

I was totally excited about this recipe because you melt Creme Eggs with chocolate and then bake them up.

But the recipe called for Cadbury Bournville Chocolate.  Whaaa-aaat?  What's THAT?  I can't even find Ghirardelli baking chocolate!

Turns out Cadbury Bournville Chocolate is available in the UK.  It's entirely likely that I could have picked some up at the British import store in the Big Mall, but I refused to go all the way over there just to find out.

So I had to improvise using just semi-sweet Baker's chocolate.

Also, the measurements are all in grams and ounces.  Luckily, I used the last of a gift card that I had to buy a digital scale (which I do pull out quite frequently, surprisingly enough).  I suppose I could have converted everything to cups, but it was just as quick to measure everything (and maybe a little faster!).


On we go.


In a double boiler, melt together the chocolate, Creme Eggs, and butter.


I pulled the the chocolate mixture off and let it cool a little. 


Then whisked in the eggs.  You want the chocolate cool enough that it won't cook the eggs. 



But I messed up - I was supposed to add the sugar first.  Oh well.

Then I mixed in the sugar.


Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the chocolate mixture in three batches.


Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 30 - 40 minutes.  I pulled mine out after 30 minutes.


Then cool completely.  The recipe author, James Montgomerie, recommends a minimum of two hours.

What did I think?  Sadly, I couldn't taste the Creme Eggs at all!  I was a little disappointed.  And mine didn't look like James's at all.

It's entirely possible I did something wrong.  Who knows.

Less than impressed, this is the Cane Girl - signing off.


Creme Egg Brownies

6 Cadbury Creme Eggs
430 grams Cadbury Bournville Chocolate
45 grams sugar
115 grams butter
140 grams flour
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
  2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Gently melt the butter, Creme Eggs, and chocolate together in a double-boiler.  (Mixture should become smooth and silky)
  4. Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and mix in the sugar.
  5. Cool and add the eggs one at a time, until thoroughly mixed.
  6. Add the flour in three batches and fold gently.
  7. Pour mixture into the 9 x 13 pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  8. Cool in pan for two hours on a wire rack.
  9. Cut into squares and serve.
Source:  James Montgomerie

No comments:

Post a Comment