Friday 20 April 2012

Coconut Butterscotch Cookies

When I was visiting family at Easter, my cousin Mike's wife Heather (yep, she's Heather too!  We're taking over the world.) mentioned Coconut Butterscotch cookies.

And I couldn't stop thinking about them.

I snooped around the blogs to see if I could find anything, and then I defaulted to Allrecipes, almost sure I would find something right.

When I came across a recipe that kind of looked like it was what I wanted I was terribly excited.  There were only 13 reviews, but they were all raves, so I decided to take a chance.

Plus, during a "preliminary Spring Clean inspection", I realised that I had a ton of coconut that needed to be used up before the summer came.  And the more I use up - the less I have to clean.

I'm lazy that way.

Off we go.


The recipe actually calls for 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup butter flavoured shortening, but I didn't have any shortening, so I just used all butter.

First, beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a mixer bowl until fluffy.


Then add in an egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract and beat together.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.


Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine.


At this point I was SURE the dough wasn't going to come together.  It looked REALLY. WEIRD.  But, with a little patience, it did end up coming together.  Then add in the butterscotch chips and the coconut.


I ended up pulling the bowl off the mixer stand and finished mixing in the last bits of coconut and chips by hand because the dough wouldn't pick them up.

Then bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, until the edges are golden.  The recipe said to bake them at 375 - but I had my doubts.  So I just did what I wanted.


Okay, I know these don't look nearly done, but I checked the bottoms and they were nice and golden all around, so I KNOW they're done.  And I like my cookies SOFT.


These were actually REALLY good!  It's nice to have something a little different than just plain old chocolate chip (although I'm totally not knocking a classic).  The flaked coconut adds a really different texture and the butterscotch chips are fantastic.

I would definitely add this to my recipe book!


This is the Cane Girl - signing off.


Coconut Butterscotch Chip Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup flaked coconut, firmly packed
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
  3. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract.  Beat to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  5. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
  6. Stir in the butterscotch chips and coconut until just combined.
  7. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until the edges are golden.
  9. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
Slightly adapted from:  Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment