Sunday 17 March 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Yep - another Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Are you getting sick of these yet?

Too bad.

Just kidding - I care if you're bored.

But bear with me.  I'm sorting through my tortilla soup recipes and there are surprisingly few that meet my criteria.

I might get through them sooner than I thought.

On the easy scale - this soup was as easy as they come.  Really - the most labour intensive thing I had to do was shred the chicken.

I love that.


To start out with, mix the taco seasoning, water, and tomato sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker.  Crockpot, if you will.


Then add the cream of chicken soup and the milk and whisk until smooth.


Add the chicken, the drained black beans, the drained corn, and the diced tomatoes. 



I stirred mine all together.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  The chicken was completely cooked at 6 hours.  Then I pulled it out and shredded it up.  I added it back to the soup and stirred it again.


I topped this bowl with shredded cheddar, which was fine.  Another bowl I topped with shredded cheddar and crushed Tostitos scoops (I happened to have some - I don't generally have Tostitos in the house!).  Know what?  Those chips added something a little extra.....

Maybe I should consider having some around all the time.

I would definitely say that this is my Number 2 runner up soup.  Super-yummy, super-easy, hearty, and warm.

And after 1 and a half feet of snow since Thursday - I really needed something warm and filling.

Goodness - isn't Winter over YET?

This is the Cane girl - signing off.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes (I used tomatoes with chiles)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 1/2 cup water
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (10 ounces) cream of chicken soup
2 cups whole milk
2 chicken breasts
  1. Mix the taco seasoning, water, and tomato sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker.
  2. Add the cream of chicken soup and milk.  Whisk together until smooth.
  3. Add the chicken.
  4. Add the black beans, corn, and tomatoes.  Stir together.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
  6. Remove the chicken and shred.  Return to the bowl of the slow cooker and stir together.
  7. Serve topped with cheese and tortilla chips, or your choice of toppings.
Source:  Real Mom Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment