Thursday 4 April 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Remember how I told you I'd found my Number 1 soup?  Then I'd found my Number 2 soup?

Can I have two Number 2 soups?

This one might even score as a Number 1.5 soup.

So let's say you're on your way home on a Monday night.  You stop in at the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken, but instead of eating it "like a chicken", you stick in this super-fast, super-easy soup.

I did NOT use a rotisserie chicken.  I poached a couple of chicken breasts.  But to speed up the process, I'd totally do the rotisserie chicken thing.  And I kind of wish that I had.  I get kind of weirded out by the whole poaching thing.

And make sure that EVERYTHING is measured out and ready to go when you start.  This soup happens really fast and you want to be ready.


Start out by heating olive oil in a large pot oven medium heat.  Then add the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.


Then add the tortillas and cook until they are softened.


Yes.  The tortillas - just bear with me.  We'll get there.

Add in the chicken broth.


Add the spices. 


And the tomatoes.  Bring to a boil. 


Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Then puree the whole works in a blender, in batches.  Return the pureed soup to the pot and add the chicken.


Then the corn.


And lastly, the cream.  Bring to a boil again and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.


Turn off the heat, add the shredded Monterey Jack and add the lime juice.  Stir to combine.


Serve topped with cheese (or your choice of toppings - sour cream, cheese, tortilla strips, etc.).


I thought this soup was REALLY good!  It's hearty and not overly thick, and only the tiniest bit of richness from the cream.  I do think it could have used black beans, and maybe a tiny little bit of cilantro - but as it's written - it's REALLY, REALLY good.

I was somewhat concerned about the amount of cayenne going in, but it wasn't overpowering - don't worry.


So, if you don't have a chance to set up a soup in your slow cooker, if you're having a quick weeknight dinner, or if you're feeling somewhat lazy on a cold winter's day - whip up a batch of this soup and put your feet up!

Have a terrif day - the Cane girl.
Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
3 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (10.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 fresh lime)
  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and garlic.  Cook for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add in the tortillas and cook until softened.
  4. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, coriander, oregano, and cayenne.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  5. Turn off heat and let mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
  6. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  7. Return mixture to pot over medium heat.
  8. Add the chicken, corn, and cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  9. Reduce heat slightly and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
  10. Add the lime juice. 
  11. Serve topped with your choice of toppings (cheese, tortilla strips, etc.)
Source:  Simply So Good

1 comment:

  1. My only suggestion for this would be to use an immersion blender to puree the broth rather than using a blender - I have had the experience of trying to puree a hot soup in the blender and having the lid blow off from the heat. My immersion blender is my new best friend :)

    I will try this one - it looks good.

    ReplyDelete