Friday 13 December 2013

Pudding Dinner Buns

Here in Canada, the cold shows no signs of letting us go.

I think that means we need comfort food in a big way. 

Because highs of minus 18 degrees Celsius makes me - and everyone else I know - crave things that make us happy.

So how about carb overloading.  With buns.

That's sounds happy.

 
And I had the most delightful little helper to make these.  Those are her fingers.
 
She's the best.

 
Dissolve the pudding in the milk.

 
Then add the butter.  I've got to be honest here when I say that although the recipe called for softened butter, I feel like it needed to be melted.

 
You can see in the picture below that my helper was just fine stirring the butter in.  Along with salt.

 
But when it came to the flour, things got a little complicated.

 
Maybe it's because I should have stirred in the yeast mixture first.  But I kind of forgot.

 
Four year olds are so needy.
 
Anyway, the chunks of butter were hard to combine with the rest of the ingredients.  And maybe that was the point?  I have no idea.
 
But after everything is stirred together, knead the dough for a couple of minutes, then place into a bowl and let rise.  Then portion into 15 pieces, place into a 9 x 13 pan, cover and let rise again.  Then bake.




The buns came out soft, chewy, and dense.  We think they're actually a very old-fashioned dinner roll. 


I know that the pudding seems weird - but it actually adds just a little sweetness.  Which is totally up
my alley when it's cold and crummy.

I think they would be a perfect compliment to a chili or a stew.  Something along those lines.

You should try it and let me know.

I gotta go curl up in a blankie. 

Winter is such a jerk.

xoxo - the Cane girl.


Pudding Dinner Buns

1 package instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 stick of butter, softened
4 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water for 5 minutes or until the yeast is activated and bubbly.  Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix.  Mix in the softened butter.  Add the yeast mixture and the salt.  Then add the flour, mixing until combined.
  3. Knead the dough together for 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. Put the dough into a large bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 25 - 30 minutes or until double in size.  Punch the dough down and let rise again for an additional 25 minutes.
  5. Grease a 9 x 3 pan and set aside.
  6. Divide the dough into 15 equal sized pieces and roll into balls.
  7. Place the dough balls into the prepared pan.  Cover the pan and let the dough rise once more, about 20 minutes. 
  8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake the rolls in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Source:  Tastes of Lizzy T

No comments:

Post a Comment