Thursday 24 July 2014

Sesame Shrimp Stirfry

Once upon a time, three years ago, I wrote a post about a week that was well spent.  I golfed, relaxed, and travelled to Cold Lake to visit my brother and his family.  While I was in Cold Lake, I helped out by cooking food (surprise, surprise - lol) and this is one of the dishes I made for them.

At the time - I had no idea what I wanted to do with this blog - or how I wanted it to be.  And now I feel like I have a more clear picture of how I want to share food with you. 

'Cause I like you.

This has long been one of my favorite early/pre-blog days recipes - and I've thought of it often.

 
In a zippie bag, combine the ground ginger,

 
The cayenne pepper,


 
The garlic,

 
sesame seeds,

 
black pepper,

 
and the shrimp.  Close the baggie and squoosh the shrimp around with the spices and seeds to coat the shrimp as best you can.
 
Then put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about 20 minutes.
 
Have a glass of wine while you wait.  Or do some dishes.  Whatever floats your boat.
 
(I drank wine).

 
In a wok, or frying pan, heat the sesame oil then add the red pepper.


Then add the green onions.

 
Cook for a few minutes to soften, then add the teriyaki sauce.

 
Add in the shrimp and green peas and cook for about 4 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque.

 
While the shrimp is cooking, add the cornstarch to the chicken broth. Stir to combine.

 
Add the chicken broth mixture to the wok and cook until the liquid boils and is thickened.  Stir in the salt and serve on rice.
 
I LOVE this stirfry.  It's fast, flavorful, and light.  It's perfect for summer or even in the winter to make it feel like summer.
 
 
I would love at this point to suggest small changes you could make to suit it to your liking - but I can't imagine anything actually needs to be changed!  You could have it on noodles if you want.  I think those super-skinny little egg noodles would be pretty good with this!
 
But it's totally up to you.  I like rice.
 
Anyway - get into the kitchen and enjoy!
 
Have a fantastic weekend!  -Heather


Sesame Shrimp Stirfry
 
1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, julienned
3 green onions, sliced
3 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1/2 pound sugar snap peas
1/8 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
Rice (enough for 4 servings), prepared according to package directions
  1. In a large plastic zip top bag, combine the shrimp, ginger, cayenne pepper, garlic, sesame seeds and black pepper.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
  2. In a large wok (or skillet) heat the sesame oil over medium heat.  Add the red bell pepper and green onions.  Saute for 3 to 4 minutes to soften slightly.
  3. Add the teriyaki sauce.
  4. Add the peas and shrimp (with the seasonings) to the wok and saute for 4 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque.
  5. In a small bowl, add the cornstarch to the chicken broth and stir until well combined.
  6. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the shrimp mixture in the wok and cook until the liquid boils and thickens. 
  7. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Source:  Allrecipes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment