Friday 15 July 2016

The Southern Burger

Sometimes I make things and they are a major catastrophe.

It happens.  And I try not to read too much into it.  Occasionally, it's a bad or poorly written recipe (they exist!).  Sometimes it's just my lack of knowledge and skill.

Especially when it comes to ingredients or methods I've never seen or used before.

Like fried green tomatoes.  I mean - I've had them as an appetizer at a restaurant, but I've never been able to buy green tomatoes, let alone know what to do with them.

Luckily, I have an awesome co-worker who has a farm and gladly brings me all the fresh produce I can handle.  Like green tomatoes!

I'm sad to say - the first time around, the method/recipe I used was awful.  The tomatoes turned out soggy and tasted weird.  

But I KNEW this could be an AMAZING burger - so I forged ahead and tried again a few weeks later.

And then THIS gloriousness happened.

That cheesy saucy stuff.  That's pimento cheese.  Super easy to make and really delicious.


Topped with crispy fried green tomatoes.


If you're like me and you like to put onion rings on top of your burgers - this would totally be up your alley.


Isn't it beautiful?


My goodness.  If you're a regular visitor, you know I hold no pretenses about the quality of the pictures.  I do my best - but you don't get the gorgeous, glossy, well-styled pictures often found on other food blogs. 

But this day.  I don't know really what happened this day.  The stars just aligned I guess.


Back to the point.  The burger, topped with a flavorful, creamy, homemade pimento cheese, then topped AGAIN with crispy on the outside, tender on the inside fried green tomatoes.  With extra pimento cheese on the bun just because.  It really needed no other adornments or accoutrements.

The pimento cheese is fantastic and would be awesome hot or cold - maybe on a roast beef sandwich.  I pretty much wanted to slather it on everything.  

The method I used is this one from Allrecipes. Though I cut them into 1/4-inch thick slices instead of their recommended 1/2-inch thick slices.  I heated the oil temperature to 350 degrees and cooked for about 6 minutes in total, flipping halfway through and just watching to make sure they don't get over-brown.

I hope you enjoy this Southern inspired burger as much as I did!

xoxo - Heather


The Southern Burger
1 recipe hamburger patties
1 recipe hamburger buns
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces white horseradish cheddar
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 roasted red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1/4 - 1/3 light mayo
4 large green tomatoes
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
  1. Make the pimento cheese:  Shred the cheddar and horseradish cheddar.  Mix together in the bowl of a food processor and remove a handful of cheese (set aside).  (you could also use the grater blade of the food processor)
  2. Put the processor's chopping blade in place and add the Worcestershire, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, the red bell pepper, and the mayo.  Process together for 8 - 10 seconds or until it starts to come together.
  3. Add the remaining cheese and pulse together once or twice until mixed in, but not pulverized.  Transfer into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
  4. Make the fried green tomatoes:  Start heating the vegetable oil in a deep heavy pot to 350 degrees F.
  5. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices. 
  6. In a medium bowl or pie plate, add the eggs and milk.  Whisk together.
  7. On a plate with high sides or pie plate, stir to combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper.
  8. Ready and cook the tomatoes in batches of 4 - 5 slices.  You don't want to crowd the tomatoes in the oil or they won't cook properly.
  9. First, dredge both sides of the tomato in the flour.  Then coat both sides with the egg/milk mixture.  Then dredge both sides of the tomato into the cornmeal mixture.  Set aside until the other 4 slices are coated.
  10. Gently place the coated tomatoes in the hot oil.  Cook for 2.5 - 3 minutes, flip over and continue cooking another 2.5 - 3 minutes until golden brown.
  11. Keep slices warm in a 220 degree F oven until ready to serve.
  12. Burger assembly:  Bottom bun, burger patty, melty pimento cheese (I slathered a bunch on while the patties were still on the bbq), two or three tomatoes, more cheese on the top bun!  Devour.


1 comment:

  1. PLEASE make your Mommy some fried green tomatoes !!!!

    ReplyDelete