Tuesday 27 March 2018

Cadbury Creme Egg Pie

Ahhhhh  - I love Easter.

No.  Not EASTER.  What comes at Easter.  Cadbury Crème Eggs.   ooooohhhh yaaaaaa..  You know you love them!

Let's be honest, I'm wildly satisfied just stuffing them in my face as they are, but I also terribly enjoy making things with them.  Like muffins and tarts and brownies.  And I have a couple more things up my sleeve.

Like this pie - read on.

I have had this recipe up my sleeve for AGES, but just like these tarts, I was confounded by the recipe.  Although I like to pretend that I'm a total whiz in the kitchen and I know EVERY.THING.

'cept I don't.

But I read through the recipe a couple of times and thought, "yeah, there's no way that's going to do anything at all".

This is what you need.  Peabody said that 10 ounces of mini creme eggs came to about 22 eggs, but I wound up with about 30 eggs.  Or maybe I can't count.  But I weighed the eggs with my scale. 

I'm weird like that.


Unwrap the creme eggs and place them in the upper pot of a double boiler and melt the eggs.

Mix one package of gelatine (which, yes, is the same as gelatin) with 1/2 cup cold water and let stand for about 1 minute.


Turn the heat on and stir the gelatine until it is completely dissolved, then remove from the heat.

Add in the other 1/2 cup water.


Stir in the vanilla.


Then mix in the marshmallow fluff.


And the melted Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Then put in the fridge to thicken.  The recipe says that it should only take about 20 minutes - but it took a couple of hours.

And it will look like this when you pull it out.


But when you stir it up, it'll look like this and be gloopy like pudding.


Then, whip 2 cups of whipping cream until stiff peaks form and fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.


And pour into a pie shell.  I bought a pie shell, but it didn't hold all of the filling - I should have just used my deep-dish pie plate and made my OWN pie shell.

Put the pie back in the fridge and let set up.  It'll take a few hours.  Maybe don't fill it as much as I did.  haha

The rest that didn't fit in the pie, put it in a big darn bowl, let it set overnight and then grab the big darn bowl and a spoon and put on your favorite chick flick, scary movie, action film or whatever floats your boat and eat.  I don't judge.


Then serve.


The pie filling was light and fluffy and actually tasted like chocolate soft-serve ice cream - you know, the high end GOOD stuff.


The day after I made this pie, Dusty and Nate came for dinner and I asked if they would just give some of the leftover filling a try.  As they were prepping for their wedding and not ALLOWED to have treats like pie.

I know.  I don't understand them either.  And yes - I wrote this post like a zillion years ago.  What?  I've been busy!

So, with the honest intentions of just getting them to TRY the filling without shoving pie down their throats, I gave them each a spoonful.

Then Dusty wouldn't leave. me. alone. about it for the rest of the night.

So I fed her pie - even though her wedding was only a couple of months away....


I really do think they love me.

Make sure the pie crust isn't tooooo full and let it set overnight.  It'll be so much better set the next day.  And you could also use a bigger, deeper pie plate and make your own crust.  It'd probably be worth it.

To get this delightful recipe - follow the link!

Source: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

No comments:

Post a Comment